I Tried 5 Side Hustles for 30 Days. Here's What Actually Made Me $1,200


Thirty days ago, I was broke. Not "I can't buy the newest iPhone" broke. I mean checking my bank account before buying coffee kind of broke.


Bills were piling up, my savings were almost gone, and I realized I couldn't keep waiting for things to magically get better. I needed extra income, and I needed it fast.


So I made myself a promise.


For the next 30 days, I would test five different side hustles. I'd treat it like a real experiment. Every day after work and on weekends, I'd put in the effort, track my time, and write down exactly how much money I made.


Some days were exciting.


Some days were honestly frustrating.


A couple of ideas turned out to be complete disasters.


But one surprised me so much that it ended up paying most of my bills.


Here's exactly what happened.



---


1. Freelance Writing


What I Did


I've always enjoyed writing, even though I never thought anyone would actually pay me for it.


I created a simple profile on a freelance website and started applying for beginner writing jobs. Most of them were blog posts, product descriptions, and website content.


The first week was rough.


I probably sent over 40 applications before someone finally hired me.


My first project paid only $35.


Not amazing, but honestly, seeing money land in my account felt incredible.


After finishing that job, I received a five-star review, and getting new work became a little easier.


Time I Spent


About 2 to 3 hours every evening.


Around 55 hours total.


Money Earned


$640


What I Learned


Getting the first client is the hardest part.


After that, everything becomes easier because people trust someone who already has reviews.


I also learned that writing doesn't have to be perfect. Clients mostly wanted someone reliable who met deadlines.



---


2. Selling Things Around My House


What I Did


I looked around my apartment and realized I owned way too much stuff I never used.


An old gaming headset.


A coffee maker.


Some sneakers I hadn't worn in over a year.


A few books.


Even an extra office chair.


I cleaned everything, took decent photos with my phone, and listed them online.


I honestly expected it to take weeks.


Instead, people started messaging me the same day.


One guy even drove an hour just to buy the chair.


Time I Spent


About 6 hours total.


That includes cleaning, taking pictures, posting listings, and meeting buyers.


Money Earned


$310


What I Learned


Most of us are sitting on money without realizing it.


Sure, this isn't something you can do forever, but if you need quick cash, it's one of the fastest options.



---


3. Food Delivery


What I Did


I signed up for a delivery app and worked during dinner hours and weekends.


I figured people always need food, so there should always be work.


Some shifts were actually fun.


Others were painfully slow.


One night I waited nearly 40 minutes for a restaurant to finish an order.


Another customer tipped me just two dollars after driving almost twenty minutes.


That one hurt a little.


Time I Spent


Around 28 hours.


Money Earned


$190 after gas.


What I Learned


Your earnings depend on things you can't control.


Traffic.


Weather.


Restaurant delays.


Customer tips.


Some nights felt great.


Other nights felt like I was working for almost nothing.



---


4. Online Surveys


What I Did


I kept seeing videos saying people were making easy money by answering surveys.


Honestly...


I should've known better.


I signed up for several survey websites.


Most surveys promised decent pay.


Then halfway through, I'd suddenly get disqualified.


Or I'd spend fifteen minutes answering questions only to earn fifty cents.


It became really frustrating.


Time I Spent


About 16 hours.


Money Earned


$24


What I Learned


Yes, it's technically possible to make money.


But the hourly pay is terrible.


I'd rather spend those same hours learning a skill that could actually grow.



---


5. Pet Sitting


What I Did


A friend suggested watching dogs for people who travel.


I love dogs, so I figured why not?


I created a profile and accepted a few weekend bookings.


The dogs were honestly adorable.


One golden retriever followed me everywhere.


Another tiny terrier somehow managed to steal my socks every morning.


It didn't even feel like work most of the time.


Time I Spent


About 18 hours.


Money Earned


$86


What I Learned


If you genuinely enjoy animals, this can be a nice side hustle.


But bookings aren't consistent unless you build a solid reputation.



---


Which Side Hustle Made Me the Most Money?


Without question...


Freelance writing.


It brought in $640, which was more than half of everything I earned during the experiment.


The biggest reason wasn't just the money.


It was the fact that every hour I spent seemed to make the next week easier.


Each completed project gave me another review.


Each review made it easier to find new clients.


Instead of starting from zero every day, I was slowly building something.


That's very different from delivery driving or surveys, where every day feels like starting over again.


I didn't realize that at first.


Looking back, it makes perfect sense.



---


The Two Side Hustles That Were a Total Waste of Time


If I'm being completely honest, I'd skip these.


Online Surveys


This one disappointed me the most.


The ads made it sound like easy money.


Reality looked very different.


The pay was tiny.


Many surveys kicked me out halfway through.


I kept thinking, "Maybe the next one will be better."


It usually wasn't.


Food Delivery


This one isn't completely bad.


Some people probably do really well with it.


But for me, after paying for gas and dealing with slow restaurants, the numbers just didn't make sense.


Too much driving.


Too much waiting.


Not enough profit.



---


My Total Results After 30 Days


Here's how everything added up:


Freelance Writing: $640


Selling Unused Items: $310


Food Delivery: $190


Online Surveys: $24


Pet Sitting: $86



Total Earned: $1,250


I originally hoped to make around $1,000.


Ending up above that goal felt amazing.


Not life-changing money.


But enough to catch up on bills, breathe a little easier, and prove to myself that extra income really is possible.



---


Final Thoughts


This little experiment taught me something I wish I'd understood years ago.


Not every side hustle is worth your time.


Some pay you once.


Some barely pay at all.


And a few actually have the potential to grow into something much bigger.


If I had to start again tomorrow, I'd only do these two:


First, freelance writing, because it has the highest long-term earning potential. Every project helps you build experience, collect reviews, and charge more over time.


Second, selling things you already own, because it's the fastest way to generate cash when you need it. It's not a forever business, but it's an easy win when you're getting started.


The biggest lesson wasn't really about making money.


It was about taking action.


For months, I kept telling myself I'd start "next week." Then next week turned into next month.


Once I finally stopped overthinking and actually tried different ideas, things slowly began to change.


Were all five side hustles amazing? Definitely not.


Did I make mistakes? Plenty.


Would I do the whole experiment again?


Absolutely.


Because even the failures taught me what not to spend my time on, and that turned out to be almost as valuable as the money itself.

Which One would you first ? Let me now in the Comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Stop Spam Calls on Android for Free (2026 Complete Guide)

25 High-Income Skills You Can Learn Online for Free in 2026

15 Daily Habits That Are Secretly Destroying Your Productivity